RDC National Data Services Framework Summit: September 22, 2017
Authour: Mark Leggott, Executive Director, Research Data Canada (RDC)
The Canadian National Data Services Framework Summit took place just after the 10th RDA Plenary in Montreal, and gathered a broad stakeholder community to discuss the opportunities and challenges of building National Data Services in support of research data stewardship in Canada. The Summit provided an overview of approaches in other countries, an update on what is happening in Canada, and ample time for discussion on how to advance current efforts. Goals for the Summit included: a high-level articulation of requirements for national data services; discussion of intersections with the Tri-Agencies’ draft Data Policy and implications for institutional support; and next steps to define a work plan for RDC’s committees and working groups, including the National Data Services Framework Working Group.
The attendees represented a very broad research data management stakeholder community, with an emphasis on the organizations that fund research, as well as those that provide data management services to researchers. Some of the key tasks for RDC that emerged from the day include:
- Set up meetings with key stakeholder groups in the Government of Canada, higher education, and Canada’s Indigenous peoples.
- Complete the mapping of the Canadian RDM ecosystem that RDC started with the ResearchLink Project.
- Create a series highlighting Canadian Open Data success stories.
- Develop a more detailed description of a Canadian National Data Services Framework, and highlight intersections with international efforts.
- Develop outreach documents that show the intersections between policy frameworks and “guiding principles” from all sectors in Canada.
- Develop a set of metrics that demonstrate “the value of data”.
- Create a Working Group to review current and best practices in “Data Privacy and Protection”.
- Work with RDA and CODATA on the delivery of a Canadian version of the Summer Institute.
A Summary Document provides an overview of the Summit, a list of presentations, a summary of the feedback from break-out groups, a list of attendees, and a list of actions for Research data Canada over the coming year. The list of presenters and presentations is included below for convenience.
- Background for the Canadian Conversation (Mark Leggott, RDC)
- Context from the Netherlands (Ingrid Dillo, DANS)
- Context from the United Kingdom (Dom Fripp, Jisc)
- Context from Australia (Ross Wilkinson, ANDS)
- Context from the European Open Science Cloud (Wainer Lusoli, European Commission)
- Context from the Government of Canada and Open Data (Portia Taylor, Treasury Board Secretariat)
- Context from Higher Education (Jeff Moon, CARL Portage Network / Steve Cundy, UBC)
- Commercial and Domain-Specific Contexts (Mark Leggott, RDC / David Schade, CADC)
- Context from Funding Agencies (Matthew Lucas, SSHRC / Kevin Fitzgibbons, NSERC)
Finally, RDC committed to continuing the conversation with regular updates to the RDC mailing list, and planning a follow-up Summit in a year’s time.